I have received 3 DVDs to review from Mike Huckabee's 'Learn Our History: TimeCycle Academy'
Since I don't watch much of the tele and I definitely don't watch much news (sorry Mr. Huckabee), I was really surprised to stumble upon the commercial for the Learn Our History DVDs. I was instantly intrigued; my curiosity was peaked!
The stories start off with a group of kids that have some sort of question about something that happened in history. One of the boys is the brain of the group and invented a time machine that the group uses to travel to the place and time needed in order to get their question answered. Sometimes it is a dangerous place like Ground Zero or Nazi Germany. Needless to say, by the end of the story, the kids find the answer to their question and more.
Learn Our History makes the following claims:
The Learn Our History: TimeCycle Academy series uses the incredible lessons of history to present important themes to your child, such as:
- The need to stand up to bullies
- The importance of self-respect and respect for others -including their elders
- Belief in democratic values such as freedom and equality
- Faith in God as a key principle in America’s development and greatness
- Learn Our History DVDs do stand up to the claims that they make
- A lot of information is given on a single topic
- Our boys (12 1/2 and 15) did enjoy the movies and learned a lot
- I appreciate the republican viewpoints (of things such as socialists) made throughout the stories
- They don't leave out the scary parts (such as Nazis or terrorists), although they are spoken about in a way that is suitable for children
- There is a bond throughout the group of kids except with the bully
- The bully calls names that some moms won't want their kids repeating (stupid, hillbilly, brainiac)
- The bully has a constant negative attitude that is irritating
- The smart girl often has a know-it-all tone
- The graphics stink but youngest son (12) doesn't mind
About TimeCycle Acadamy
Frequently Asked Questions
I received this product free for the purpose of reviewing it. I received no other compensation for this review. The opinions expressed in this review are my personal, honest opinions. Please read my full disclosure policy for more details.