Friday

Garbage In ~ Garbage Out


The saying is, "Garbage in - garbage out."
Another way of putting it is, "What goes into the mind, comes out in life."

Having a teen boy and one approaching teens, I stress this frequently.  They "know" the saying.  I often point out examples of this when I see them.  Unfortunately, if you look around you, you will see MANY wonderful terrible examples of "Garbage in - garbage out."

One VERY SMALL way to prevent "garbage in" is to monitor the movies and shows that your children are watching.  It's not always easy but once your kids see examples of what happens to people's lives who live on "garbage in,"  they will not fight back so much when you have restrictions.

Yes, it's important that children obey just for the sake of obeying, but how are they going to learn the "whys" if you don't show them.  If you just say, "Because I said so that's why!" all the time, they won't be able to develop in their own minds and hearts.

Plugged In Online is one way that I monitor movies.  As far as shows on TV go, if you just hang around while the show is on, the radar in your mind will start to beep!  Warning!  Warning!  I'll be honest, we have had to put our foot down on Disney Channel and most of the other channels for kids, mostly for the indoctrination of KISSING and dating to young children.  They fussed about it a little in the beginning but soon saw why we stopped the channels.

Encouragement ~ BE THE PARENT!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We gave up cable and satellite 4 years ago and it was the best decision ever.

The main reason for doing so was the disgusting reality based programming and the Disney Channel. My then 6 yo started talking about dating and it was then that I realized that it had to stop....hc

Christy said...

Amen! I am ready to cancel the cable. I am constantly pointing out the issues with those shows but everyone else thinks that I'm overly concerned. No one seems to see the connection between children's shows where the children are the main characters and the adults, if they are around, are portrayed as idiots or hard-nosed dictators and the lack of respect for authority.

Copyright

Copyright © 2012 Janet Powers

The content (including photos) within this blog are not to be used without my permission.

You are welcome to post about this blog with links back to it, please take a moment to leave a comment and link back to where you did so, I'd love to see your blog or website!

If you would like to use a photo in a reference with a link to this blog, please contact me, and I'd be happy to have you do so with my permission. (Please do not use any photos that contain pictures of kids.)