Wednesday

FUN & Easy Poetry

I hate to admit it but sometimes
homeschoolers struggle
in the area poetry and writing.

Over the next week, I am going to focus on poetry and writing ideas. I will even have a post about a children's author whom I have become friends with through this blog! She has WONDERFUL ideas and I can't wait to share them with you!

Try this at home! (You could center each line and give it away as a gift!)

Cinquain: a five-line poem that describes a person, place, or thing.

dessert (a one word title, a noun)

cold, creamy (two adjectives)

eating, giggling, licking (three -ing participles)

cone with three scoops (a phrase)

ice cream (a synonym for your title, another noun)

Oh what fun you and your kids (big or small) can have making a cinquain! Please share with us if you try this!

3 comments:

Jan Mader said...

Tango
huge and gentle
walking, running, galloping
blue ribbon winnder
My horse

And I am going to use this idea when I visit another class next week! I forgot how fun poetry really is!!!

By the way, when I originally started my blog it was to share my writing activities and get other writing activity ideas in return. I think when I post this weekend, I'm going to ask for other ideas. Please share some of yours...they're terrific.

The coolest thing is that any of the ideas/activities can be used with kids and adults. I use the same activites in schools that I do in adult workshops. The kids have a slight advantage...they are naturally curious and incredibly creative!

Latte said...

we struggle in poetry and language arts...sad but true too.

Faith

momtofivekids said...

Thanks for the great ideas! I'm going to try this with my 8 yo soon.
Blessings!

Copyright

Copyright © 2012 Janet Powers

The content (including photos) within this blog are not to be used without my permission.

You are welcome to post about this blog with links back to it, please take a moment to leave a comment and link back to where you did so, I'd love to see your blog or website!

If you would like to use a photo in a reference with a link to this blog, please contact me, and I'd be happy to have you do so with my permission. (Please do not use any photos that contain pictures of kids.)