Friday

Homeschooling High School - It's not as hard as you imagined


When our boys were younger, I said that I would send them to school when they got to the 6th grade.  I figured that I could teach them their colors, basic math, and how to read and then ship them off for the hard stuff.  Little did I know, God had other plans.

We started our homeschool journey off by doing school at home with little desks and a little area for "school."  I purchased a wonderful boxed curriculum and tried to follow the ideals to the best of my ability.  As years passed, I discovered that there were other really great homeschooling ideas out there!  Before I knew it, I was picking from here and there and putting our curriculum together myself.  By then, I knew my kids and I knew what would best suite them.  That is known as the eclectic style.

As the kids got past the 6th grade, I realized that I was not going to be sending them to school.  Some fear did try to enter but I knew that God had called me to homeschool and He would bless us for it.  

Over time, I have also come to realize that most kids are bent a certain way and will learn best if their education is going in that particular direction.  What brought me to this realization is, I started learning a lot!  How come I didn't learn a lot in school?  Because I don't learn best out of a textbook.  As I have grown, I found out that I learn well in many other ways such as through video and research.  

If I have a specific way of learning and have certain subjects that I love, love, love, then my kids are probably the same way!  Sure enough, as time has gone on, I have found their niche and have aloud them to discover these things for themselves.  

Homeschooling high school isn't as scary as it sounds.  It's not as hard as some make it out to be.  
My advise: loosen up!  
  • Find ways that your child will learn and do that! 
  • Find topics that they are interested in and give them complete freedom.  You will be pleasantly surprised.
  • Have a full day (or more!) that they can focus solely on that subject and learn in the way that suites them best.  Is that frightening?  Sure!  
  • PRAY!  Ask God to guide your young adult (you do realize that from 13 on they are young adults right?) into the areas that will guide them for the rest of their lives.

Train up a child in the way HE should go and when HE is old he will not depart from it.  
Proverbs 22:6

More info:
Barnes' Notes on the Bible
Train - Initiate, and so, educate.
The way he should go - Or, according to the tenor of his way, i. e., the path especially belonging to, especially fitted for, the individual's character. The proverb enjoins the closest possible study of each child's temperament and the adaptation of "his way of life" to that.

No comments:

Copyright

Copyright © 2012 Janet Powers

The content (including photos) within this blog are not to be used without my permission.

You are welcome to post about this blog with links back to it, please take a moment to leave a comment and link back to where you did so, I'd love to see your blog or website!

If you would like to use a photo in a reference with a link to this blog, please contact me, and I'd be happy to have you do so with my permission. (Please do not use any photos that contain pictures of kids.)