Beginning Drawing with Barry Stebbing
DVD lessons - age 6 and up
Are you looking for an affordable art program for your homeschool? This is it! Mr. Stebbing takes students step by step through the basics of drawing - from drawing geometric shapes to ending the sixth lesson with drawing "still life" objects from around the house. Drawing skills are sure to improve!
Features that I like:
- Starts DVD with Scripture
- As he shows how to draw an item, a picture of the end product is shown
- Introduces concepts of shading, contrast, shapes in foreground & background, plumb lines, and light source
- Each concept builds upon another to improve drawing
- Concepts are introduced in an easy to understand way for children
- Uses the proper words (such as contrast) and doesn't baby talk students
- Gives tips along the way (like look up at what you are drawing)
- Tells which pencil to use that the proper time (very detailed instruction)
- Challenges students
- Mixes sketching actual objects with simple cartoons
"With the passing of the years, I have had great revelations of the simple fact that God is an artist. Jehovah Eloihim—the great Creator. And since we are all made in his image and likeness, with the ability to create, he has given us all a measure of that ability that only needs nurturing. All we have to do is believe in ourselves and to practice as much as possible—“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13). " Barry Stebbing (ChristianBook.com interview)
Take a Peak!
The Espressos are sure to get a great start in their art education using Beginning Art. They were both able to follow along easily and draw what Mr. Stebbing instructed. They had great concentration on their faces as they perfected their drawings. (So much better than the blank look while playing video games!) Even though art isn't Double Espresso's specialty, he did great with Beginning Art.
I was very impressed with the amount that is covered in the six lessons. I can't wait to see how the boys' skills improve over time. This is a great product for the price!
How Great Thou Art
Art Lessons for Kids
Not a paid review. All opinions are my own.